This is article 3 of 4 exploring each technology in the MERN stack:
To check out our overview of the stack and why it is so popular, you can see our article here. In these articles, we’ll go a bit deeper on each technology, their history, and even tease out what the future of each will hold.
Without further ado – here’s Node.js!
Understanding the Server-Side Environment
In Part 1, we used the analogy of a coffee shop to talk about the User Interface.
If the User Interface (or front end) of a website is the coffee shop’s interior, menu, and the overall customer experience, then the server-side (where data processing happens) is the kitchen where all the behind-the-scenes preparation occurs.
This back-end environment is where orders are received, processed, and fulfilled out of sight, before the final product is delivered to the user or customer.
In digital terms, Node.js acts as this back of house kitchen for web applications, handling data, server requests, and the logic behind the scenes that allows the users to fulfill. If the backend is running smoothly, a user wouldn’t even be aware of it!
The Evolution of Node.js
This is perhaps where the coffee shop analogy falls apart, since this breakthrough would be like discovering the shop’s espresso machines and coffee brewers could also be used in the kitchen to prepare sandwiches!
Why Node.js Gained Popularity
Node.js became popular for several reasons:
- Versatility: Just as a well-equipped kitchen can adapt to prepare a wide range of dishes, Node.js provides developers with the tools to build various types of applications, from simple websites to complex real-time applications like chat systems.
- Speed and Efficiency: With Node.js, the kitchen can handle multiple orders at once, significantly speeding up order fulfillment. This is due to its non-blocking, event-driven architecture, which allows it to handle numerous simultaneous connections without a hitch.
Are There Downsides?
- Pyramid of Doom: One of the common issues with Node.js, especially in earlier versions and poorly structured code, is jokingly referred to as the “pyramid of doom”. This describes a situation where callbacks are nested within callbacks, leading to complex and hard-to-maintain code that resembles a sideways pyramid. Although the addition of promises has mitigated this issue, it can still be a problem in legacy codebases or among developers not familiar with these patterns.
- Dependency on External Libraries: Node.js’s ecosystem is vast, with a large number of third-party modules available through npm. However, this reliance on external libraries can lead to issues where managing and updating a large number of dependencies becomes cumbersome. Additionally, the quality and maintenance of these third-party libraries can vary greatly.
- API Stability: In the past, Node.js has faced criticism for frequent API changes, which can introduce breaking changes and require developers to continually update their code to stay compatible with newer versions. Although this has improved with the establishment of a Long Term Support (LTS) schedule, it remains a concern for some developers.
The Future of Node.js
As the digital landscape evolves, Node.js continues to expand its capabilities. It’s like a kitchen that’s constantly updating its equipment and techniques to stay ahead of culinary trends, ensuring it can meet the growing and changing demands of the market With ongoing developments in performance, security, and scalability, Node.js is poised to remain a key player in the technology stack of many modern web applications, much like an innovative kitchen that’s central to the success of a bustling coffee shop.
Node.js has transformed the way developers think about and build server-side applications. Its efficiency, versatility, and the unified coding experience it offers have made it a staple in modern web development. As technology progresses, Node.js’s adaptability ensures it will continue to be an essential tool for developers looking to craft responsive, efficient, and scalable web applications.
Curious to know more about how we teach the MERN stack to help you transform your life with coding skills? Click below and we’ll be happy to answer your questions.